Track goes for fresh new run

Darrin Davis

David Mozombite, Staff Writer

This year the track team lost one of their longest running head coaches. Coach Jeff Ditman most well-known for running the shot put is now replaced with the second year assistant.

Coach Ryan Lojacono who also runs the Cross Country team. Coach Ditman has been one of the head coaches for a long time and only left for various personal reasons.

Something that will inadvertently affect the team for a short amount of time while everyone get accustomed to the changes. Even though Ditman is gone from the school now, one of the other longer running coaches Patrick Geanconteri will always remain close to the team.

“It doesn’t affect the whole of us too much. We four other coaches have been doing this for many years so we won’t change too much,” said Geanconteri.

Geanconteri is one of the more experienced teachers and coaches and because of that he knows how to handle a sport well- even more so since he also coaches the Girls’ Soccer team. With the departure of Ditman, some of the longer running coaches like Coach Geanconteri who has such a close bond with the former coach are obviously more affected than the newer runners.

“He was a really close friend and we both were really close. The runners even got us friendship bracelets,” said Geanconteri.

With Ditman some changes are to be expected but gladly nothing of major importance will be changed. But even with the replacement of a Coach Ditman, Lojacono doesn’t plan on changing the teams’ practice regiment and will be sticking with what they have always done.

Lojacono plans on changing only one thing: with the increase of students this year, many of the athletes don’t know the basics of their event. In order to alleviate that, Coach Lojacono is planning on going “back to the basics”.

“We’re going back to the basics since we have a lot more kids. We gained a lot more students– up to thirty– and more coming,” said Lojacono.

But it seems even though he has a lot to manage, he is handling the new position efficiently.

“It’s different. It’s more responsibilities like keeping everyone on task and keeping everyone trained,” said Lojacono.

While doing so, he tries not to be too harsh on the athletes and let them go with their own flow while keeping the task in mind.

“He’s not too stern. He’s laid back, nice, and helpful,” said runner Isabel Vazquez.

Even though there haven’t been many track meets as of yet, everyone is hopeful for the future of Track and Field even without the guidance coach Ditman gave as Head Coach.

This year Coach Lojacono has lofty hopes for this coming year with his track team that is built upon the things they were able to accomplish last year. He has high hopes for specific runners to make it as state champions.

“One, or more, state champions like Samson Moore, Alessa Sanduskey, and Ashley Rogale,” said Lojacono.

Being the head coach for track means that he’s responsible for the running-based events. Because of that, he also has high expectations for the relay teams this year, paying special attention to that event.

However, being head coach, he also has to keep an eye on the other events, giving equal guidance to all of his athletes.

The Track and Field team is sure to make a big run this year.

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Cowboys Fall to Chiefs, 17-0

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Biggest Football Game of Season Taken Off Schedule

• Sports

Girls Soccer Starts New Season With Confidence

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Cowboys Fight Hard, Fall Short to Sickles

• Track goes for fresh new run

Features

JV Football is Family On and Off the Field

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

• Sports Talk

Super Bowl 50 Brings in the Champions through Powerful Halftime

• Track goes for fresh new run

News

Men’s Soccer Suffers Tough Loss, Ends State Title Bid

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Men’s Soccer Competes at Regional Level, Looks to Advance to State

• Track goes for fresh new run

Sports

Football Team Revival for Next Year

Track goes for fresh new run