Key Club penalized for bad behavior

Nicole Mason, Staff Writer

Key Club is inactive after the inappropriate behavior of the new and past members. The School Board has taken action to ensure that hazing does not continue to happen in other school activities or clubs.

“Seniors have complained about this due to the fact that they lose chances for scholarships and opportunities for community service hours,” said Key Club Sponsor Luke Gittens.

Most of the students say that the actions of the Key Club do not affect them, but the actions of the club members affected the club itself.

“We never did anything in that club. We mostly just sat around and talked even though we were supposed to be a community club,” said Senior Amanda Moldovan, who was a past member of the club.

Key Club is one of the largest and oldest clubs for high school students. Gittens was even part of Key Club when he attended school. “Being part of Key Club gives you a lot of opportunities and it’s great to be a part of it,” said Gittens.

Despite the bad reputation Key Club has, they have done a lot to help people. “We participated in a lot of fundraisers and food drives to help the less fortunate kids,” said Gittens.

Money that is raised also goes toward helping the school pay for other community events like Relay For Life and The Special Olympics. Toward the end of last year, it was announced to the club that it would be coming to an end.

Key Club participated in events such as the Spaghetti Fundraiser, did a car wash event, Special Olympics, Metropolitan Administration, Hope Children’s Home, Paint Your Heart Out, Coastal Clean Up, and Relay For Life which they took part in even after the club had been cancelled.

“We raised so much money to the point where I don’t remember how much we raised, but I know for a fact we partook in a lot of events,” said Gittens.

Many of the Gaither clubs participated in the Relay For Life event last year. The event was held at Hillsborough High School.

“The presidents of the club, Carly Jacksec, and Daniel Martin, did their jobs well,” said Gittens. “But some of the members would do things like put others on blast for embarrassing things.”

Key club was created as a way to succeed in the future, allowing students to help others and themselves.

“It does not matter if you are dark-skinned, light-skinned, tall, short. It doesn’t matter how you look. You didn’t have to be cool or beautiful, you just had to want to help people,” Gittens said. “Don’t want to help? Key club isn’t for you. Slacking off? Key club isn’t for you. We’re here to help and do it voluntarily.”

Sources say that Key Club will be back next schol year after the Key Club Executive Board has spent one year structuring the club for next year’s reactivation.