The Undefeated Gaither Cowboys Continue Their Reign

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of Susan Wood

Courtesy of Susan Wood

Courtesy of Susan Wood

Rachel Slay, Editor-in-Chief

There doesn’t seem to be anything that can stop the Gaither Cowboys from finding a way to win.  Tampa Bay Tech (5-3) was supposed to bring Gaither (8-0) their first significant challenge of the year but was outshined by a much greater opponent: the rain.  Gaither overcame the storm and defeated the Tampa Bay Tech Titans by a score of 26-8 to maintain their perfect record this season.  

In their last meeting, Gaither pulled out a comeback win in the final minutes of the game to secure their place in the playoffs.  This year’s contest was nothing in comparison.  

Despite the nonstop downpour, Tony Bartalo managed to score two passing touchdowns.  The first was an 11-yard reception by Jeff Duclos to put the Cowboys on the board in the second quarter.  Shortly after, Bartalo completed a pass under pressure to Korey Williams at the 15-yard line and met Deveon Knighton in the end zone for the second TD of the night. 

Unfortunately for the Titans, Gaither got the ball back to start the second half.  And just as the skies continued to open, so did Gaither’s lead.  

Chance Coleman and the Cowboy offense chipped away at the Titans before Bartalo capped off the eight and a half minute drive with a TD run, stretching their lead to 19-0.  Coleman would collect one more rushing TD for the Cowboys with just under five minutes left in regulation.

“Ball control was tough.  I fumbled early on in the game and I haven’t done that all year… I felt like I had let the team down but all the guys and the coaching staff let me know they had my back and I had to have theirs.  It was an unforgettable experience with the gang, I love my boys,” Coleman said.  

Tech squeaked out one touchdown and a two-point conversion in the fourth quarter after Hunter Mintzer dropped the snap on a punt attempt.  

The Cowboys have secured yet another win, making them 8-0 and a force to be reckoned with.  They will head to Freedom High School to take on the Patriots next Friday.