Gaither Softball Starts Season 0-1 After Loss to East Bay

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Rachel Slay

Photo by Rachel Slay

Photo by Rachel Slay

Photo by Rachel Slay

Rachel Slay, Staff Writer

The Gaither Cowboys hosted the East Bay Indians at home in the 2019 softball regular season opener. The Cowboys held the Indians to one run within the first two innings but were ultimately unable to stop the Indians’ powerful hitting, losing 2-11.

While a loss wasn’t the way Gaither wanted to start the season, the 2019 team has a lot to look forward to after the standout performances of two new members of the team.

Freshman outfielder Kayla Glinka hit two singles, stole second base and caught a fly ball in left field for an out.

Freshman Jocelyn Wilkes joined the Cowboys at third base, making her presence known in her Gaither debut. Wilkes made several great defensive plays. Wilkes also hit a single to center in the second inning and a double to left center in the bottom of the fourth inning.

“It’s the first game of the season so the underclassmen still have a lot to learn… Jocelyn came in with an extremely strong bat, batting fourth, and she will help us bring in a lot of runs. She is doing an awesome job filling in at third since Bridget [Heslin] is out for a few weeks,” said senior shortstop Alyssa Gennaro.

Heslin has been battling medical issues and will be out for three to four weeks. It was tough for Heslin to have to watch her team from the dugout as they fought against the Indians.

“It actually kills me, especially when we are struggling. It makes me feel like I’m letting them down because I can’t be out there to help them fight back. Now we know what we can improve on,” said Heslin.

Despite the rocky start, the Cowboys are ready to move forward. Gaither hosts Durant this Thursday at home.