Biggest Football Game of Season Taken Off Schedule

Gaither%27s+offense+and+Steinbrenner%27s+defense+line+up+before+the+snap+in+last+year%27s+game.+
Gaither's offense and Steinbrenner's defense line up before the snap in last year's game.

Rachel Slay, Staff Writer

For the past eight years, the football stadiums have been filled to watch the two teams go head-to-head.  Unfortunately, this tradition has ended.  Gaither will no longer play Steinbrenner during the regular season due to redistributing and class size

Students are quite upset about the schedule change, the players themselves are more directly affected by it and feel the strongest.  “I wish we could play them… it would be a really crazy game,” said Shaye Scott, junior and quarterback for the Cowboys.

Without the matchup against the school’s
rival, some students are worried that the season won’t be as exciting to watch.  The next biggest rival is Chamberlain, a school the football team has consistently defeated.

“Honestly, it’s annoying.  [Steinbrenner was] our biggest rival and we don’t get to play them my senior year.  The whole team is disappointed and now all we’ve got is Chamberlain. That’s an automatic win,” said Matthew Wood, senior starting linebacker and captain of the defense.

From a player’s perspective, playing the local rival is the highlight of the season.  The game brings the most anticipation and intensity out of them all.  For spectators, the amount of hype and excitement is incomparable.

“It’s always the most fun game of the season! A lot of us went to middle school with kids at Steinbrenner… all the guys seem to play a lot harder. It’s like our version of the FSU and UF game,” said Gia Reyes, Senior Class President.

Setting disappointment aside, students are looking forward to the upcoming season under the leadership of new Head Coach Karsen and have high hopes for the 2017-2018 Gaither Cowboys.