Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Preseason game delayed due to inclement weather

Photo courtsey of IG user matchew.51

Photo courtsey of IG user matchew.51

Photo courtsey of IG user matchew.51

Seth Bos, Staff Writer

Fridays are special around the Gaither campus. Friday means game day, it means students coming together in the student section to cheer and chant on their favorite team. Throughout the school day you can see the football players wearing their polo shirts and cheerleaders sporting their uniforms. They know they represent the blue, silver and white and they plan to put on a show.

The Friday spirit was back with strong force last week as the Cowboys prepared to take on the Tampa Catholic Crusaders. The scheduled 7:30 kickoff was delayed 30 minutes due to lightning, but that didn’t diminish the numbers of the student section dressed for the “gray out” game.

The game started with a TC kickoff to the Cowboys. With a decent return, the Cowboys setup the start of their drive. Senior and starting running back TJ Williams moved the Cowboys down the field with multiple strong runs putting more than one Crusader to work trying to take him down.

Inside the red zone, Williams ran a route out wide that left him wide open, giving quarterback Gavin DenBoer an easy pass and a touchdown. With the scoreboard reading 7-0 in Gaither’s favor, the crowd began to chant, “I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN,” as the Cowboys kicked the ball off. Gaither defense couldn’t hold back the Crusaders and TC scored, tying the score at 7-7.

The Cowboys remained tenacious in the hopes of victory. What looked to be play after play of simple runs turned into real gains on the field. DenBoer handed the ball off to Williams who ran down the middle straight into the Crusaders defense with only the coverage of his linesmen and ran a 55 yard touchdown.

The student section erupted in cheers. With Gaither up 14-7 and 5 minutes left in the first quarter, the cowboys kicked off and send the ball deep, only to have it returned all the way back for a TC touchdown.

Before the Crusaders could go for their extra point lighting struck nearby, making the weather conditions too dangerous for the players. Players began to exit the field, while the student section had other ideas. Gaither students waited in the stands until they were forced to leave.

“I was disappointed but I wanted to finish the game…” Williams said. “I am sure we would have won.”

Despite the weather delay and the game ending with 3 minutes left in the first quarter, Williams walked away with a total of 144 yards for his first game of the season.

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Cowboys Fall to Chiefs, 17-0

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Biggest Football Game of Season Taken Off Schedule

• Sports

Girls Soccer Starts New Season With Confidence

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Cowboys Fight Hard, Fall Short to Sickles

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Features

JV Football is Family On and Off the Field

• Sports Talk

Super Bowl 50 Brings in the Champions through Powerful Halftime

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

News

Men’s Soccer Suffers Tough Loss, Ends State Title Bid

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Men’s Soccer Competes at Regional Level, Looks to Advance to State

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Football Team Revival for Next Year

• Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning

Sports

Cross Country team starts off the season on high note

Cowboys Face Friday Night Lightning