Chicks and Ducklings Are Gifts to Avoid this Spring

Photos from Demianna Federici

Lexi Mariash, Staff Writer

Every spring, families decide to take home chicks and ducklings as pets, without realizing the responsibilities that come with owning them. 

The careless purchase of these animals leads to many of the birds being mistreated or improperly released into the wild once they outgrow the cute, fluffy stage. 

“Ducks are very cute but if you don’t have the space and you hate having messes everywhere then I wouldn’t recommend getting one. They poop everywhere and they step in it and it’s just kind of gross,” junior Demianna Federici said. 

As chicks become chickens and ducklings become ducks, the amount of space they need increases and if they aren’t familiar with the outdoors releasing them can be extremely dangerous for them. 

“As they get older, you have to make sure you introduce them to the outdoors so they get used to it if you’re planning on letting them go, which is what I did. But overall, it’s a little more work than just owning a cat or dog because you also have to buy them food… which can be expensive after a while,” junior Demianna Federici said. 

Sophomore Christina Carucci says while ducks aren’t totally high maintenance, “taking care of ducks does take a lot of work because you have to wake up early and take time out of your day to care for them.”

“What I do to take care of my ducks is make sure they’re getting fed at the right time, make sure they’re eating the right nutrients and that they have water in their pool and have a lot of land to roam around in,” Carucci said.

Pets like these should be reserved for those prepared to care for and treat them properly. This means avoiding giving them to young children and unprepared adults.