Where to Find a Four-Year Family

Olivia+Dyer+%28right+of+center%29+stands+with+four+fellow+clarinet+players+at+a+band+competition.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Where to Find a Four-Year Family

Olivia Dyer (right of center) stands with four fellow clarinet players at a band competition.

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Dyer

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Dyer

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Dyer

Olivia Dyer, Staff Writer

Four years in band can really have a positive impact on students because for four years, you hang out with these people all the time.  Band is one big family so, when you join band, you join a family.  The family is weird and crazy but we’re also fun and loving. 

Marching season lasts a long time, from the beginning of summer to the end of November.  Then it’s not even over because if you’re in concert band as well, you must continue to work to learn your music.  It’s a lot of hard work because we’re expected to perform at a standard higher than mostHowever, band isn’t torture, if you don’t count standing in the sun and practicing marching or standing in the middle of a storm while we’re learning drill.  

From the first icebreaker as an incoming freshman, I was super nervous.  was just this shy thing about to walk into an auditorium full of screaming high school kids.   walked into the auditorium and saw a lot of things happening like people trying to get things organized and instrument sections playing games.  I started to relax once I realized all these people are just crazy and wild.  I was the first freshman to arrive in my instrument section. The high school students were immediately welcoming and so nice to me even though I was an awkward, shy eighth grader.  I felt comfortable with them. 

Before high school, I never really wanted to be in band because I thought it was going to be too much work and I didn’t think it was worth it.  Looking back, I’m glad I joined because it really opened me up and it helped me overcome my shyness.  I gained a second family that ended up helping me through my high school years.  I grew tougher and I was able to accomplish many things in leadership roles Im happy I joined band because I made life long memories, forgive me for being cheesy, that’ll hopefully remember for a long time.