Who are you trying to impress?

Sahar Takshi, Opinions Editor

Picture this: being the only person in the group knowing French at the restaurant, you smugly comment to the waiter “Je sui un gros melon d’eau”; he smirks at you politely and replies, “No sir, you are not a large watermelon.”

A person’s desire to impress those around them is, no doubt, a sickness. Think about it. A teenage girl would turn into a drooling fool around an attractive man, and a good student would fall out of their chair in an attempt to answer a question correctly in front of their peers.

But what do people really gain from these often failed attempts to impress? Nothing, usually.

A person’s wanting to impress others normally derives from a craving for attention towards a specific skill or talent that they have acquired. When someone accomplishes a remarkable task, such as getting a date with the “hottest” person at the school or acing their semester exam, it’s all they want to talk about.

What is most irritating by people who try to impress is that they often try to downsize themselves, giving the other person a chance to compliment them. This needy form of making an impression on the people around them definitely shows deeper issues.

Perhaps the need to impress others has something to do with one’s low self esteem and need of constant confirmation of everything they do. Perhaps the ability to impress one’s peers provides a fill for the empty cavity of that is a person’s self conscious behavior.

So how can one override this desire? Maybe by starting to accept oneself as an accomplished human being, by understanding that it’s not what others think that make achievements worthwhile, and that one should always strive to do their best whether or not it will impress others.

Who are you trying to impress?