Amendment to Tardy Policy Beyond Tardy

Staff Editorial

When those measly five minutes between class periods dwindle to an end, we all rush to our class, some even sprinting down the halls, to avoid getting the dreaded tardy slips. If a student racks up three or more slips in a nine weeks period, they are punished accordingly.  However, the tardy policy overall has only managed to make students even later to class, and puts many at a disadvantage.

While students should not have an unlimited amount of tardies, allowing a greater number would give them more leeway. With our school spanning 52 acres, it is unreasonable to expect students to make it to class in as little as five minutes.

The concept of sending a student who is seconds late to class to retrieve a tardy slip that will cause them to be at least another five minutes tardy defeats the purpose. Students must wait in a line sometimes stretching down the hall in order to receive their tardy slip, when in fact, it would take much less time for them to be allowed to enter the class and begin their work.

Moreover, if school policy requires the tardy to be recorded, then the teacher can do so in class, as with attendance.

We have been told repeatedly that high school is preparing us for the real world. While the “real world” requires one to be on time, the work you deliver is more important in the end. Tardies do not define the quality of a student or their ability to work well; they only highlight problems administration has yet to address.

Amendment to Tardy Policy Beyond Tardy