Gaither Intrasquad Game Kicks-Off the Season

10th Grade Outfielder, Carl Furr.

Emilee Namphengsone, Staff Writer

Gaither High School’s Varsity Baseball approaches their upcoming spring season with an impenetrable excitement. From home runs to roaring cheers, Gaither Baseball’s plans for 2021 are undefeated!

To kick off the season, our Cowboys played in their annual blue-gray intrasquad game last Friday on February 5th. Their intrasquad game consisted of only Gaither players and ended with a score of 3-2 and a victory for the Blue Team! 

“Anytime that you can kind of put on a uniform and play an intrasquad game as realistic as possible, it’s a good thing,” said Varsity Coach Nelson North. “I thought the pitching was really good. [For] defense, [I] would’ve liked to hit a little better, but maybe our pitching is that good.” 

Anthony Dimillo, Gaither Varsity’s 11th grade First Baseman and Pitcher.

This week, Gaither hosts their Frank Permuy Preseason Classics on Tuesday, February 9th, and Thursday, February 11th in remembrance of one of Gaither High School’s long-time coaches, Frank Permuy. Players and coaches from Wharton, Alonso and King High School face Gaither in this series of innings.

The team’s first season game commences next week on Tuesday, February 16th against Plant High School with Austin Grause, Varsity’s best pitcher, pitching for Gaither!

Players expressed their excitement for upcoming games, eager to see the outcomes of a long conditioning season from the fall. 

Colin Jackson and Alex Smith, Gaither’s Varsity Pitcher and P.O., are proud of the work that their team has put into setting the season up for success.

“I’m feeling very confident in all of our guys,” said Jackson. “I’m really excited to see all the hard work my teammates and I did in the off-season show in our play.” 

“Our team has a lot of talented players,” said Smith. “We’ve been able to come together as a team and get a lot of closer through everything. I’m looking forward to seeing everything in action and it’ll be nice to play some outside competition for the first time this year.”

Senior players, CJ Hanson and Jacob Choe.

But the team has really been working for one true goal–States. With hours of physical and mental work, the team feels confident that it’ll all be worth it in the end. 

“I’m excited for my senior year and being part of a great team,” said Designated Hitter Jacob Choe. “Our team should have a very high chance of making States if we continue putting in the work.”

“I think [Varsity] is a really talented team,” said Coach North. “I’m hoping that the team, as individuals and a [whole], continues to mature. If they keep having the desire to get better and they earn the success they desire, then this could be a very, very special team.”

Gaither’s next game on February 16th takes place at Gaither’s baseball field at 7:00 P.M. 

All tickets can be purchased online at Hillsborough County’s website: hillsboroughschools.org/atheltics. Cash will not be accepted at the gate!