Gaither Senior’s able to Vote in the 2020 Election

Emilee Namphengsone, Staff Writer

Nov. 3 is the 2020 United States presidential election.

This year, young voters are being encouraged to participate in this important event. For most Gaither seniors—18 years old and eligible to vote—this is their first time voting in an election.

The registration process was quick, simple and convenient.

“The registration process was an extremely easy one that took me 5 minutes max,” said senior Anna Iglesias.

“You fill out a [form] online and it was made super easy so everyone could do it,” said senior Emely Sune.

Our Gaither voters have the assistance of their parents, informative online sources and even their voting-by-mail ballot form to help them successfully put their vote in.

While some may feel nervous about the outcome of this year’s election, Gaither voters demonstrate their excitement to have their voices heard.

“I think this is one of the most controversial elections we’ve had because both parties have such drastic pros and cons,” said senior Madison Chiasson. “I’m excited to vote for the first time, but I’m also nervous because voting is a really big deal, and it should be taken seriously.”

Senior Colin Jackson said, “This year’s election seems like a choice between two of not the best candidates, but I’m excited to see the outcome of this weird election. I feel like I get a say in what’s going on in our futures.”

According to Senior Class President Gabi Reyes, the Gaither Senate plans to make banners and signs to promote student voting closer to the election date.

“I think that everyone who has the opportunity to vote, should vote,” said Sune. “It shouldn’t be passed by because whether it’s one person or a group of people, we all have the opportunity to make a big change, even if it doesn’t feel like it.

Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020. Florida offers early voting from Oct. 19 to Nov. 2. Absentee ballot deadlines should be requested by Oct. 24 or returned by mail or in person by Nov. 3 by 7:00 p.m.