Hunting season for Gaither Football: 54-3 win over the Fivay Falcons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Slay, Editor-in-Chief

The Gaither Cowboys continue on their path of success, as they collected their fifth win tonight, this time in a 6A District 6 matchup against the Fivay Falcons (3-2).  Gaither has the best record in their district and is now 1-0 in district play.  

Fivay struggled to establish any momentum on offense.  Their multiple turnovers and three-and-outs were tough to bounce back from.  The Falcons managed to score a field goal early in the first quarter but would hardly touch Cowboy territory the rest of the game.  

Gaither made it to the end zone six times in the first half.  Drelin “Speedy” Pittman caught a 27-yard TD pass and a 51-yard TD pass, each from Tony Bartalo; Chance Coleman rushed 12 yards for his first TD and 56 yards for his second TD, following a successful punt fake by Robert Zanders; Jordan Oladokun took a Falcon punt to the house with just under two minutes left in the half.  Bartalo iced the cake, tip-toeing down the sideline, running all over the Falcon secondary for a 39-yard TD. 

The Cowboys led 40-3 as they received the kick at the start of the second half.  The extent of the lead held by Gaither warranted a running clock for the remainder of the game.  

Bartalo was replaced by Kobe McCloud, who threw his first TD pass of the season to Deveon Knighton before being relieved by sophomore Connor Zaragoza.  Shortly after, James Ingram rushed for a TD of his own.  The scoreboard read 54-3 as the clock trickled to zero.

Gaither football has not had a 5-0 record in at least 15 years.  Head coach Kirk Karsen says this team has put in the work to get where it is now.

“We’ve built this thing over these last two and a half years and I think this is the culmination of it all.  We knew how important it was to win this game,” Karsen said.

The undefeated Gaither Cowboys will travel to face their historic rival, the Chamberlain Chiefs (2-3), next week.  The Chamberlain Chiefs shutout the Cowboys in their last meeting, but Karsen is confident in his team.

“I’ve had this game circled on my schedule all year.  That’s the one.  That’s the one I want more than anything right now,” Karsen said.