Spirit Week Comes to an End with Winter Pep Rally

Yacob Reyes, Staff Writer

On Friday Gaither concluded it’s Winter Spirit Week with a pep rally filled with laughter and ugly sweaters.

The pep rally showcased Gaither’s winter sports teams, giving them and their teachers the opportunity to take part in some unusual holiday-themed games in recognition for their hard work over the past few months.

While music was provided by a local DJ, the pep rally featured its usual performances by Gaither’s own band, cheerleaders and Starettes. Drumline was unable to perform due to their drums being used by Ben Hill Middle School, and was replaced by a full drum set played by senior Jacob Nieves.

As usual the pep rally was not lacking in fun games and events for both participators and the crowd to participate in. The events and challenges were hosted by seniors Chad Hense and Hayley Zarcone, who is also the senior class president. Class representatives were tasked with keeping the audience alive, which they managed through competitions such as each class sorting reindeer names in their respective order, and through the classic throwing of t-shirts and other fun merchandise into the bleachers.

On the court the members of the winter sports teams participated in a multitude of quirky games and competitions, ranging from competing in a “snowball” fight to wrapping their teachers in toilet paper. The student class representatives also got to take a turn: each class’ respective representatives competed to be the first to finish the lyrics of classic holiday songs.

This particular pep rally also concluded the Winter Spirit Week, which featured a different theme each day for students to adhere to by wearing fun, holiday outfits and costumes. Friday’s theme was “Ugly Holiday Sweaters”: and the pep rally was where the tackiest of the outfits went head to head in a showdown of which sweater was the ugliest of them all.

Pre-chosen during lunches, students showed off their outrageous sweaters in a runway-fashion on the court, where they were judged by teachers Rachel McKeon, Damien Martinez and Christine McGowan.

All in all the pep rally provided students with a fun break from the stressful “dead” week before exams and sent them home with lots of holiday spirit.