Gaither Puts on Joyful Holiday Concert Assembly

Amanda Hase, Staff Writer

Gaither’s fine arts department put on a cheerful holiday concert not once, but three times at the annual Winter Concert Assembly held on Friday. The assembly followed the winter concert that premiered Thursday night. This assembly gave the students a chance to celebrate the holiday season surrounded by their peers one last time before exam week.  

The concert featured spectacular performances from Gaither’s jazz band, orchestra, concert chorus and Showcase. The show was orchestrated by music instructors Luis Alvarez, department head and band director, Andrea Szarowicz, orchestra director and Debra Cleveland, chorus director, who worked together to create a joyful holiday assembly.  

The music featured throughout the show was diverse and celebrated a variety of cultures and holidays. Chamber Orchestra performed “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24” and full orchestra performed “Sleigh Ride”. Concert chorus performed a Hanukkah song called “Pitaktha”, followed by the song “Jesus, Oh What a Wonderful Child.” Jazz Band stepped in and played “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.” After was a special performance from a group named “Singing Double”, which consists of seniors Kelly and Krystal Majid and Hannah and Emma Paschal, two sets of twins that performed an a cappella arrangement of “Here Comes Santa Claus.” Closing the show was Showcase 2019 performing the popular Christmas song “Jingle Bells.” 

Dozens of students took part in the multiple performances put on during the assembly, many of whom participated in both the orchestra or band and chorus, bustling across the stage for each part of the show.

The show was highlighted by cheers and applause from the audience, all of whom were thrilled to see their fellows peers put on such a show in the holiday spirit. The assembly was followed by a winter pep rally Friday afternoon, both of which worked to bring a joyful end to the year’s winter spirit week.