Little Wranglers Are Back in Session

Photo by Lexi Mariash

Lexi Mariash, Staff Writer

The Gaither High School Little Wranglers program has begun for the 2018-2019 school year. The Little Wranglers program is a preschool for toddlers that allows Gaither students to learn about childcare while preparing the children for elementary school.

The Little Wranglers mission statement describes the Little Wranglers as “A developmental preschool program designed for children ages 3-5. Our goal is to provide opportunities for children to develop physically, intellectually, emotionally, and socially in a child centered, developmentally appropriate environment. We will provide support and encouragement to families as we work toward these goals together.”

The school year is off to a strong start for the program so far. In the past week all the kids in the program met the administration of Gaither along with the principal, Mr. Morrill, and the school deputy. The first days are dedicated to familiarizing the kids with not only the school, but the high schoolers who will be working with them for the rest of the year.

The 2018-2019 school year educational process involves an “of the week” system, in which each week the kids will learn a color, a shape and a concept of math.

Special events include the annual “Trick-or- Treat”, where the Wranglers dress up for Halloween and collect candy from the high school classrooms. In the Winter Holiday program the kids perform a small song and dance for the parents to celebrate the holiday season. There is also a “Spring Fling”, similar to the holiday celebration. At the end of the year the Little Wranglers and Gaither put on a graduation for all the kids to end the year.

The high school students who help teach the toddlers all year are typically working towards becoming teachers, childcare aids, or working in child development as part of their future careers. When the Gaither students finish the childcare course they work towards the Early Childhood Professional Certificate, which is issued from the state of Florida.

Gaither welcomes the Little Wranglers of the 2018-2019 school year and wishes them a great start in their first experiences as a Cowboy.