2018 Homecoming Assembly Recap

Photo Courtesy of Yacob Reyes

Hayley Greenlaw, Staff Writer

With the homecoming dance just two weeks away, students are beginning to count down the days. The 2018 Starlight Homecoming Court kicked off the true feeling of homecoming season with their very own assembly.

Students were able to see the full court for the first time and hear a little bit about their lives.

The assembly opened with the Gaither NJROTC marching on stage and showing our country’s colors while saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

Ten pairs of candidates walked down the auditorium aisles hand-in-hand. Rounds of applause went around as each couple walked down and proceeded onto the stage. Information about the pairs was relayed to the audience, stating their biggest accomplishments from Gaither and the people they thank most for getting them through their high school years.

Many people on the court are involved in the school in different ways, one example being senior Alexis McDonald, president of the new Humane Society club and American Sign Language. “I was genuinely shocked and really excited to have gotten this opportunity because so many amazing people are on [the] court,” said McDonald.

Another student in the running is Jacob Nieves, a member of the Gaither High School Marching Cowboys and a three-year member of Gaither’s very own drumline. “The best part [of being on the court] is being able to talk and hang out with some old friends and get to know more people,” said Nieves.A goal for many candidates is just to represent the school and the student body in the best way they can. Others just want to end their senior year with a bang and decided to go all out.

“I just thought it would be fun, since it’s my senior year and a couple people told me I should run for it,” said Nieves.

With homecoming being so close, don’t forget to cast your vote for the candidates you believe deserve it most. Voting begins today, and the results will be announced at the homecoming coronation ceremony.