Gaither Senior Receives $20,000 Scholarship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Slay, Staff Writer

Gia Reyes, senior class president, was the recipient of the annual Bailey Family Foundation Scholarship, a $5,000 renewable scholarship for up to four years.  The academic requirement for the scholarship was a minimum 2.5 GPA; Reyes surpasses this requirement with her hard-earned 5.5.  

The application process was simple and easy, only including the student information form and an essay.  The essay was to discuss the student’s goals, community service and activities or events that influenced these goals.  Reyes was upfront and direct with her goals and aspirations of becoming an attorney advocating for children that are victims of sexual abuse.  

“I chose to talk about this because I have, unfortunately, endured the same thing… I have been through the court systems and I want the kids to know they’re not alone and somebody does understand… and ensure that their future is safe,” said Reyes.   

The Bailey Family Foundation’s mission is to maximize student opportunity and better the quality of extended education.  

“[I will] continue to thrive beyond my goals in college and work hard and continue to juggle the many aspects of life,” said Reyes.  

Reyes will be attending the University of South Florida in the summer to pursue a degree in criminology.  Through her college career and future successes, she is determined to show that the foundation made the right decision in choosing her as the recipient.