Gaither Chorus Hosts Local School Performances

Donnel Torres

Donnel Torres

Olivia Dyer, Staff Writer

The North Tampa Choral Concert was a night filled with joyous songs and laughter, and even though an inconvenience occurred during the show, chorus managed to pull through and make something of it. 

The concert was held on Tuesday evening at Gaither and included performances from the Claywell Elementary School chorus, North West Elementary School chorus, Ben Hill Middle School chorus and the Gaither chorus. It was a well- attended event, filled with joyous music, family, friends – and the striking sounds of unintended bells.

Although fire alarms went off during the show, the concert continued to go on. The songs they sung in the concert were very appealing and made the crowd clap to the beat of the music. Concert chorus sang the songs “Moses”, “Jenny Rebecca” and “Festival Sanctus”. Showcase performed their opener “On Top of the World” by Imagine Dragons, the men’s showcase chorus performed “Maneater” by Hall and Oates, and the showcase girls performed “Ain’t it Fun” by Paramore. They all performed “Blue Skies” by Ella Fitzgerald as well as “Ukuthula”, which is a peace prayer.   

When asked how choral director Debbie Cleveland felt about the concert, she felt that the concert was wonderful. 

“I think it went very, very well. The students were very prepared insight of being gone seven days for Irma. We made the concert a little bit shorter because we just wanted to make sure we sounded good on the music that we did have, but they did a terrific job. The entire chorus’s did well. We had woman’s chorus, men’s chorus, concert chorus, we had four quartets that were prepared to sing a song, and showcase performed their first package of the year. The auditorium was full of people, so we had a huge crowd and everyone seemed to have a great time,” said Ms. Cleveland. 

When asking a fellow student of Gaither about how they felt about the alarms going off, their response was not what you’d expect. 

“I thought it was kind of funny! We all just started jamming and having a good time, like we’d build a chord on the fire alarm and Ms. Cleveland and Mr. G started rapping to it. It was so much fun,” said junior Katherine George. 

The concert overall was a complete hit and everyone who attended ending up having a great time listening to songs or even singing along with the chorus jamming to the fire alarm. Although the fire alarm brought excitement and thrills, let’s hope that the next time chorus has a concert the fire alarm will remain silent, so people will be able to listen to the wonderful singing.  

• Gaither Chorus Hosts Local School Performances

News

Teachers Battle School Board for Promised Pay Increase

News

Gaither Athletes Sign to Universities

News

Gaither Orchestra Students Offered Once in a Lifetime Performance

News

Teachers Implement Creative Project to Improve Student Learning

News

Students Protest Regarding Teacher Pay Raises

News

Sunshine 2.0 Puts on Culturally Diverse Performance

News

Gaither Awards Outstanding Faculty Members

News

Marching Cowboys Prepare to Take on Competition

News

Early Release No More Times Four

News

Puerto Rico Supply Drive Takes Action at Gaither