Early Release No More Times Four

Danielle Cotton, Staff Writer

Thanks to Hurricane Irma students of Hillsborough County have to make up time. The last two Mondays of October and the first two of November will not be early release days. For some students it makes no difference to them because they have a virtual place holder and get to leave early anyway.

For other students they don’t mind losing a few Mondays because that means they won’t lose days we are supposed to have off. “I’m fine with it because I’d rather take the Mondays away than spend a whole day in school when we were supposed to have off,” said senior Gia Reyes.

There are students that are fine with losing the Mondays because it doesn’t affect what they do after school. “Losing early release doesn’t affect what I do as Class President and being on Senate. The hurricane affected it more,” said Reyes.

However, for other students that have extracurricular activities after school, they now have to figure out a way to work around the absence of early release Mondays. One group of students that are affected are those in orchestra. For them on a normal Monday they have concert orchestra rehearsal first then chamber orchestra. “So normally on Monday’s we have concert orchestra rehearsal from 2:15-3:30 p.m. and then chamber orchestra from 3:30-4:30,” said senior Sarah Nash. With regular Monday’s orchestra can’t cut rehearsal short because it is part of their curriculum to have these rehearsals. “So we’re still having rehearsal, but they’ll be from 3:15-4:30 and 4:30-5:30. It makes the day feel longer because we’re getting out later,” said Nash.

The dates are Oct. 23 and 30 and Nov. 6 and 13.