Marching Cowboys Headed To the Big Apple

Danielle Cotton, Staff Writer

Gaither High School Wind Ensemble has been invited to play at Carnegie Hall next April which is a big honor. Carnegie Hall is a concert venue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City.

Last year Gaither submitted an audition tape of the ensemble performing a couple of selections they had done. They had to compete against different ensembles of other high schools throughout the nation.

“Wind Ensemble consist of members of the woodwind, brass and percussion families. About 50 of the 180 band members perform with the ensemble of brass, woodwind and percussion,” said junior Mekayla Vasquez who plays the flute.

They all have different levels of experience. “Some of us have been playing since the sixth grade and some others have only been playing for a few years,” said Vasquez.

The Wind Ensemble has started to work on their performance that is coming up as well as work on their regular competitions.

The band is doing different fundraisers to raise money and lower the cost to go. They had one fundraiser already, a multifamily garage sale here at Gaither.

The price to go is high, so many members couldn’t go even if they wanted to. As of right now the price is at least $1300, and they will be spending four days in New York. “We are hoping to raise funds to lower the cost so everyone can go but at the moment there are a few of us that can’t go because our parents can’t afford to send us,” said Vasquez.

Though the price is daunting, many members are excited to go and can’t wait for April to come.