Michelle Obama’s new food policy hits Hillsborough County

Sabrina Olivier, Staff Writer

Just recently, Michelle Obama created a campaign called Let’s Move, which encourages kids to do just that. Her campaign puts kids on a healthy path to a healthy future. Hillsborough County just recently took part in Michelle Obama’s campaign and is now serving smaller and healthy portions of school lunches.

“In the end, as First Lady, this isn’t just a policy issue for me. This is a passion. This is my mission. I am determined to work with folks across this country to change the way a generation of kids think about food and nutrition.” said the First Lady while campaigning for Let’s Move.

All students of Hillsborough County are now affected by this new policy and not all are too pleased.

“It certainly affects me because the school lunches before were small and now that they’re even smaller; I’ve just been hungry the whole day.” said sophomore Emily Bayron referring to the new lunch system.

Although some students might have issues with the new policy, some agree with the First Lady’s admirable steps in order to prevent childhood obesity.

“I think what she’s doing is something people can really look up to and it’s great that she cares so much for the kids and is actually doing something about the issue”. Senior Alex Mihankah said.

Let’s Move focuses on their five initiatives in preventing childhood obesity.

• Creating a healthy start in kid’s lives
  • Empowering parents to help out
  • Providing healthy food in school cafeterias
  • Improving access of healthy and affordable foods
  • Increasing kid’s physical activity

Hillsborough is taking charge of all five of these initiatives, particularly in grade schools, starting kids on a healthy road in their lives thanks to the First Lady. Other counties across the country are expected to partake in the campaign in the future.