Who Runs the School? Sisters

Olivia Dyer, Staff Writer

Nothing says “dynamic duo” like sisters serving as class presidents. Giavonna Reyes is the Senior Class President and her little sister, Gabby Reyes, is the Freshman Class President. Together they work to accomplish the tasks that go into helping the student body.

The reason that Gabby wanted to become class president wasn’t just because of her sister; she wanted to make a difference in her school.

“I definitely want to make a positive impact over anything, overall I want it to be nothing but positive,” said Gabby.

Gia has high expectations for the legacy she will leave on Gaither.

“I want to be the best class president Gaither has ever had, and that’s my goal, to aim high,” said Gia.

The sisters plan to work together to improve school for students.

“I definitely want to make banners better because I think we really have a creative senate for freshmen. I want to make freshmen aware of what’s going on because, most of the time, we’re a little out of the loop and [high school’s] just kind of a new thing for us, so I want to make sure everyone knows what’s going around,” said Gabby.

“I plan on making this school year great by making sure everybody’s ideas are included and making sure I definitely use a lot of social media to make sure everybody can give some sort of opinion…  I felt like in order to make it great, the entire class should be involved… and everybody should be able to reach for greatness as the best they can,” added Gia.

Gabby is also excited to work with her sister and plans to have Freshmen Class win the Spirit Stick.

“It’s really fun having a class with her. We’ve already started working on a banner together, we work really well together. I hope that I can [help my class] win the Spirit Stick,” said Gabby.

But Gia is determined on winning the Spirit Stick for her class and will not let anyone steal the title.

“I absolutely plan on winning Spirit Stick. We’re the reigning champs and I don’t plan to let that title fall to any class,” said Gia.

Gia has been heavily involved in Senate throughout her years at Gaither.

“I was senator [last year], president this year, [and we] won the Spirit Stick which is a great accomplishment. That was my first year and I felt like we really had to step up and work hard. I won Battle of the Belts as head of that committee. We won three out of five categories:  best overall, best PSA, and we tied for seatbelt compliance. And we won $1,675 for the school. Later in the year, we won the Prom Video [with a $500 prize] for the school. It’s been really great,” said Gia.

Gia has found being in class club has been extremely beneficial and has allowed her to share her opinions.

“It’s been the best experience of high school, for sure, because I definitely have a say in what’s going on. I get to be a leader. With that comes being able to ask all the students who don’t get a say. People don’t usually ask everyone for opinions, they usually just ask their friends. But I feel like being a leader gives me a responsibility to ask everybody what they want to do.  So it’s really cool making so many friendships with the students that you would never really think would want to be a part of it,” said Gia.

Gia and Gabby are making a difference in the school one day at a time. They both are confident and determined to have a positive impact. The two sisters work well together and are going to make sure that the school year turns out to be a good one.

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

Do’s and Dont’s for Midterm Exams

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Featured Cowboy

A Story of Fear and Fate

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

Thanksgiving Recipes with a Twist

• Features

Spirit Week 2017

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

Behind the Bandana

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

DHH Program Brings New Culture to Classrooms

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Clubs and Community

Club Spotlight: Stargazers Club

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

Gaither Welcomes Exchange Student From Germany

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Features

Gaither Alum, Pulse Shooting Victim Honored and Remembered

• Who Runs the School? Sisters

Clubs and Community

Club Spotlight: Mu Alpha Theta

Who Runs the School? Sisters