4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Lexi Mariash, Staff Writer

Part of being a high school student is having a lot to pay attention to: grades, family, friends, jobs and so much more. With so much on your mind your health probably isn’t your highest priority, but self-care doesn’t have to be pushed under the rug. Staying healthy as a student is easier than you think with these four tips.

• Bring a water bottle with you

It is recommended that everyone drink eight eight-ounce glasses of water every single day. It can be hard to accomplish this goal when most of your day is spent in and out of classes. By bringing a water bottle with you to school, you can stay hydrated throughout the day and help your body receive its recommended amount of water. Water helps clean your system, keep you well-hydrated and can even help clear up acne. You can get a 32oz reusable water bottle from companies like Hydro Flask and Swell, two of which would fulfill your daily intake goal.

• Don’t be tempted by fast food

With Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s, Taco Bell and Steak ‘n’ Shake right by Gaither, it is easy to go grab a snack before and after school. It is best to refrain from these urges, however, as you most likely will not be full and will be spending unnecessary money on unhealthy food. If you do find yourself driving through or walking into a fast food place, there are ways to remain healthy. You can look up any large chain restaurant and find out what their healthiest option is when fast food becomes you last resort. Many fast food chains offer a “Skinny Menu” option or something similar, which compiles their healthiest food options for you to choose from.

• Go to bed earlier

Never underestimate a good night’s sleep and how beneficial it can be. Going to bed early doesn’t just promote healthy habits but can also improve your mood, body and relationships. While it may become routine to wait to do your homework until ungodly hours of the night, it really isn’t the healthiest option. If you start to go to bed at an earlier time you will be able to catch your necessary hours and be up and ready earlier. Even setting your alarm clock 30 minutes earlier than you need allows more time to become fully awake, finish some homework, and even make and eat breakfast before you have to leave.

• Try TV workouts

Not everyone has the time or interest to do sports or the access to a gym or park to routinely work out, but with TV workouts you don’t have to. TV workouts are a series of actions and conditioning you must do every time a feature appears on TV. For example, if you’re watching the TV show “Friends”, you could do a wall sit during the credits, ten crunches every time Chandler makes a joke, five push-ups whenever Joey hits on a girl, and ten lunges when Monica is cooking or cleaning. You can look these up for any show you like, such as “The Office”, “Grey’s Anatomy”, “Supernatural”, “Family Guy” and so more. All these workouts can be templates from which you can switch the skill with one that suits your ability and needs.

Health may not be one of your largest priorities, but when you act healthier, whether its contributing some of your free time to working out or carrying around a water bottle, you’ll begin to feel better and make the rest of your life way easier to handle.

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Top 5 Free Apps You Won’t Want to Put Down

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Posts About the Opportunity Rover that Still Have Us Crying

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Some Fans Say ‘Thank U, Next’ to Ariana Grande’s Newest Album

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Five Forgotten Figures of Black History Month

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Editorial

Opinion: Why Valentine’s Day is Over-Hyped

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Top Best and Worst Grammy Looks for 2019

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

6 Youtubers You Need to Be Watching Now

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Top 5 Albums Celebrating Anniversaries in 2019

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

Fans Celebrate Return of ‘Celebrity Big Brother’

• 4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School

Entertainment

‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’ Brings ‘Choose-Your-Own-Adventure’ Stories to TV

4 Ways to Stay Healthy in High School