Opinion: Why Valentine’s Day is Over-Hyped

Lexi Mariash, Staff Writer

After the New Year the next big holiday is Valentine’s Day. If you aren’t in a relationship like 50 percent of your student body, you might be dreading Cupid’s Day. But as the day draws closer and every store begins to stock their shelves with large stuffed animals and over-priced candy, it becomes impossible to avoid the idea of it.

If you are in a relationship the holiday may be something you’re looking forward to, but it has its downsides. There is an extreme amount of pressure put on couples to not only get a gift, but a meaningful and most of the time expensive present. The hardest part is trying to achieve an equal amount of effort and quality as your partner’s gift; you won’t even know what your partner got you and are still expected to give a gift of equal caliber. Some might find it easy to figure out what to get your valentine, but finding the money to get it for them can be even more stressful.

For those who aren’t in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is the day to stay in watching couples’ Snapchat stories and, though you hate to admit, wishing you were out doing something. Between all the posts and gifts you aren’t receiving it can become a pretty intimidating and self-deprecating holiday. Going on social media is just asking to be smothered by either memes about being alone or couples posting their appreciation for their significant other, both of which can be exhausting to see all day.

The important thing to remember, whether you’re single or in a relationship, is that a day of feeling obligated to be in love or have any form of reciprocated feelings shouldn’t be your priority. Most people posting happily aren’t always that happy in their relationship. Life isn’t what it seems through an over-filtered Instagram photo, so don’t let one day that’s supposed to celebrate and cherish the idea of romance become the dreaded Hallmark holiday that it seems to be.

• Opinion: Why Valentine’s Day is Over-Hyped

Editorial

Snow’s a No-Go: Why this Winter Spectacle Isn’t Worth the Hype

Editorial

Lesser-Known Sports Teams Still Deserve Recognition

Editorial

No Valentine? Treat Yo Self!

Editorial

Promposal Season at Gaither

• Editorial

The Life Of Pablo Can Now Be Viewed

Editorial

Dealing With The Seemingly Incurable Case Of Senioritis

• Editorial

Sweet Gifts To Give Your Sweetie!

• Editorial

Thanksgiving Family Traditions

• Editorial

Senioritis: A senior point-of-view

Editorial

Best gifts for that someone special