Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Olivia Dyer, Staff Writer

Big Bird has been around since 1969, and now the time has come for the man behind the beak to retire.

Caroll Spinney has been playing Big Bird for more than 50 years and has done a lot to contribute to our society. The way children think and behave is influenced by what they watched, and Spinney has definitely made an impact there. Here are some iconic moments of Big Bird that have either left a big impact on the people or spread the joy. Here are seven times Big Bird stole the show and our hearts.

1. Big Bird learns the alphabet 

In this episode, Big Bird practices pronouncing words like “sale” or “open”. But when he comes across a longer confusing word, he asks his friend Sara to help him understand. After she agrees to help and hears the word, she has no idea what it is and gets confused as well, so she asks where he heard it. Big Bird shows her where he found it and Sara then realizes that the word that he is saying is the alphabet, and proceeds to help him learn it.

2. Sesame Street says goodbye to Mr. Hooper 

In this episode, Big Bird is hanging out with his friends and decides to hand out his presents—pictures he drew them. Each picture he drew was the face of a friend, including Mr. Hooper. When it’s time to give Mr. Hooper’s picture to him, Big Bird isn’t sure where he is or when he’ll be back. That’s when his friends realize that Big Bird doesn’t understand Mr. Hooper has died, so they explain to him what it means, and how they’ll always be there for him, just like Mr. Hooper was.

3. “Believe in Yourself” with Diana Ross

In this episode, Diana Ross checks in with Big Bird to find out why he’s sad. Big Bird has recently heard of this person named Admiral Byrd, who was the first person ever to fly over the coldest part of the world, the South Pole. This made him feel upset because someone could do something better than him, and it made him feel like he can’t do anything right. So Diana Ross sang him a song about believing in himself.

4. Big Bird on the Weekend Update 

On Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update”, Seth Meyers introduces Big Bird as a guest, and the two discuss Mitt Romney referencing Big Bird during the presidential debate with President Obama. Big Bird then goes on to say how many people have “tweeted” him about the event and how it’s affected him in a funny way.

5. Big Bird interns at Funny or Die 

In one of Funny or Die’s videos, intern Big Bird ends up drawing a picture instead of writing a comedy sketch, and speaks to the printer instead of just pressing the buttons. Needless to say he doesn’t end up interning for long, partially because he’s only 6 years old.

6. Jim Henson’s funeral 

At Jim Henson’s funeral, Big Bird sang a song for his dear friend Kermit, “It’s Not Easy Being Green”. It was a very sad and memorable funeral, especially for Big Bird, who lost his best friend.

7. When Mr. Rogers was on Sesame Street 

In this episode, Big Bird and his friend Snuffleupagus race from one side of Sesame Street to the other while a man named Mr. Rogers waits at the other end to say who won. After the race, Big Bird tells his friends that he just met Mr. Rogers, but they don’t believe him. They think he imagined it, which upsets Big Bird, but Mr. Rogers shares an important message that helps Big Bird understand that imagination is like reality.

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

Barbra Streisand’s New Album Brings ‘Walls’ Tumbling Down

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

Twenty One Pilot’s ‘Trench’ Comes to Tampa

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ Casts an Exhilarating Spell

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

Trick or Treat Yo’ Self to These 5 Halloween Recipes

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

‘Daredevil’ Season 3 Packs a Powerful Punch

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

MOD Pizza Offers New Way to Do Pizza at Low Price

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

Jess Glynne Releases Feel-Good New Album

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

The Best Halloween Episodes to Watch This October

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

10 Signs You Were Born in the 2000s

• Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

‘Charmed’ Reboot: Why We Don’t Mess With the Original

Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments