‘Daredevil’ Season 3 Packs a Powerful Punch

Yacob Reyes, Staff Writer

Last weekend marked the return of one of Netflix’s greatest series: Marvel’s “Daredevil”.

In the midst of rumors that Disney is launching their own streaming service and the cancellation of two of Marvel’s Netflix shows, there is no greater news to a fan than the arrival of the show’s long-awaited third season.

For those unfamiliar with the series, “Daredevil” launched what is now known as the Marvel-Netflix Universe, the gritty counterpart to the booming blockbuster franchise the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Centered around the iconic character from comic books, the series follows Matt Murdock, a devout Catholic lawyer by day and a violent street-level vigilante by night.

The character is known for being one of the first superheroes with a disability to appear in comics, while also being known for his prominent spirituality that often provides further conflict to his role as a rogue superhero.

With two critically-acclaimed seasons preceding it, and the return of an incredible ensemble cast, the stakes were high for this upcoming season.

The season follows the events of “The Defenders”, showing how Matt barely survived the aftermath of the explosion at Midland Circle.

An injured and broken Matt struggles to return to his life as a vigilante and begins to doubt and question all he believes in.

This, combined with the release of Wilson Fisk “Kingpin” and the introduction of Bullseye, pushes Matt’s character development and this season’s tension to higher lengths than ever before.

Right off the bat, the series creates many parallels to its beginning, tapping into the crime-centered feel of the first season and going so far as to bring back Matt’s homemade suit.

Comic book fans are sure to be satisfied with the infamous “Born Again” arc being adapted into live screen and Kingpin finally donning his iconic white suit.

Despite its accuracy to the comics, there are several profound changes made to the show, in which the female characters are given more strength and independence than their comic book counterparts.

The show goes so far as to show women facing the same villains as the male characters, and completely avoids “fridging”, a trope often seen in comic books and superhero films wherein female characters are injured, depowered, or murdered as a plot device.

Devoting the entirety of an episode to further expand upon its female lead Karen Page’s origin, season three allows her to hold a bigger role as an investigative journalist, rather than a mere secretary and love interest.

The show also features emotionally-backed action scenes that leave audiences hanging off their seats, as well as wonderful performances by the main cast with Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio, who play Daredevil and Kingpin respectively, as honorable mentions.

Overall, this season is a must-watch and leaves fans hopeful for the future of the Marvel-Netflix Universe.

• ‘Daredevil’ Season 3 Packs a Powerful Punch

Entertainment

Barbra Streisand’s New Album Brings ‘Walls’ Tumbling Down

Entertainment

Twenty One Pilot’s ‘Trench’ Comes to Tampa

Entertainment

‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ Casts an Exhilarating Spell

Entertainment

Big Bird’s 7 Most Iconic Moments

Entertainment

Trick or Treat Yo’ Self to These 5 Halloween Recipes

Entertainment

MOD Pizza Offers New Way to Do Pizza at Low Price

Entertainment

Jess Glynne Releases Feel-Good New Album

Entertainment

The Best Halloween Episodes to Watch This October

Entertainment

10 Signs You Were Born in the 2000s

Entertainment

‘Charmed’ Reboot: Why We Don’t Mess With the Original