The Best Halloween Episodes to Watch This October

Lexi Mariash, Staff Writer

Spooky season is officially here and in addition to all the new horror movies, the candy, and the haunted houses to visit, your favorite TV show’s Halloween episodes are back. Here are some that stick out as the best Halloween specials everyone should watch this October.

• “The Office”: “Costume Contest” (Season 7, Episode 6)

This episode is one of the most iconic Halloween episodes on television and one of the top episodes of the series “The Office”. While Michael is upset with Darrell for going over his head to give his idea to the CEO, the rest of the office is getting competitive. The competition is to have the best costume to win a coupon book Pam got as an incentive for the office to get festive for the holidays.

• “Friends”: “The One With the Halloween Party” (Season 8, Episode 6)

In this classic episode you see all the friends dressed up: Chandler in his pink bunny suit; Ross in his “Spud”-nick costume; Phoebe as Superwoman; Monica as Catwoman; Rachel as “A Woman Who Bought An Expensive Dress And Wants To Wear It Before She Can’t Fit Into It”; and Joey as Chandler. In this episode Ross and Chandler are held in a tied arm wrestle for the length of the party to prove who is stronger, while Phoebe is introduced to her twin sister’s fiance and finds herself developing a crush on him, leading to many conflicts during the party.

• “How I Met Your Mother”: “Canning Randy” (Season 6, Episode 7)

Unlike the other two Halloween episodes of “How I Met Your Mother”, this episode doesn’t feature Ted’s search to find his long-lost girl in the pumpkin costume from a party. In this episode you see Ted dealing with his competitor Zoey, who is attending his classes and turning his students against him. The other characters spend the episode trying to guess what she did the night before when the gang caught Robin walking home after Halloween, still in her costume.

• “That 70’s Show”: “Too Old to Trick or Treat, Too Young to Die” (Season 3, Episode 4)

“That 70’s Show”’s Halloween special spoofs the Alfred Hitchcock movies “Psycho”, “The Birds”, “Rear Window”, “Vertigo”, and “North by Northwest”. Throughout the episode Fez, after falling from the roof, is stuck in a wheelchair and tries to figure out the recent disappearance of the neighbor’s wife Midge. Laurie goes “Psycho”on Kelso and when Eric likes Donna’s new look, paranormal things begin to occur.

• “The Simpsons”: “Treehouse of Horror V” (Season 6, Episode 6)

Of all the Treehouse of Horror episodes “Treehouse of Horror V” is the most iconic. This episode tells the story of Homer encountering a time traveling toaster and the effects of the future as he changes small things in the past. The other clip is a spoof on The Shinning showing Homer gong mad without beer and television.

• “Malcom in the Middle”: “Halloween” (Season 7, Episode 4)

“Malcolm in the Middle” is about a family with four delinquent kids who always find ways to get into trouble. In this episode, as Louis is stuck at work dealing with a shoplifter, Malcolm finds out their home is the site of some gruesome murders and tries to logically reason with Hal because of his fear of ghosts. Dewey and Reese take Jamie out trick-or-treating and make an enemy along the way.

• “Family Guy”: “Halloween on Spooner Street” (Season 9, Episode 5)

Like any episode of Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane’s witty and dark humor is used throughout the episode to tell how each of the characters spent their Halloween. Peter and Joe spend the month of October pranking Quagmire. Halloween night we see how Quagmire seeks his revenge against them both, ending the prank war for good. Brian takes Stewie out for his first time trick-or-treating and after an encounter with the neighborhood bullies, Stewie finds a drastic way to get his candy back.