Top Christmas Songs This Season, Old and New

Rachel Slay and Austin Carlton

With Christmas right around the corner, the best part of the season is arguably the seasonal tunes that put everyone in the holiday spirit. Here are some of our favorite Christmas songs, old and new.

Top 9 Classic Christmas Songs (in no particular order) 

•  Jingle Bells by Frank Sinatra 

To kick off our list of Christmas Classics, we’ve got Frank’s spunky version of Jingle Bells.  With a perfect mixture of instrumentation, harmony and Sinatra’s casual style, this song brings just the right amount of jingle to your jangle.   

•  The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) by Nat “King” Cole 

The Christmas Song could have no better name.  This is the staple, feel-good song of the season.  The pleasant melody and Cole’s rich vocals send all listeners into a trance of peaceful, winter wonder.  To all the fellas out there, here is your go-to kitchen dancing song with your lady.

•  Do You Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston  

Whitney Houston was one of the greatest singers of all time.  Her version of Do You Hear What I Hear, originally written by Noel Regney, is exciting and passionate.  She uses her effortless range during this theatrical performance to give a feeling of peace and triumph.  

•  Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano  

Regardless of whether or not you speak Spanish, everyone knows the words to this timeless holiday tune.  The lively spunk of this Hispanic hit brings a little to flavor to every Christmas office party.   

•  White Christmas by Bing Crosby  

White Christmas is one of the most covered Christmas songs of them all, probably because of the simplistic beauty of the melody.  Bing Crosby, the original writer, uses his deep full voice to warm your soul as you enjoy the holiday season.  

•  It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams   

Most would not recognize the name Andy Williams, but would most certainly recognize his voice as he lists all the reasons as to why the Christmas season is superior to all others.  Williams’ gleeful attitude about the holiday is clear in this performance of his timeless song.   

•  Santa Claus Is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen 

Many versions of this song have been released throughout the years, but this is one to remember.  From a live album recorded in the late 70s, Bruce Springsteen shares of Santa’s coming in a light-hearted, humorous manner.  He interacts with his audience and band members throughout the song, making it feel personal and familial.  

•  O Holy Night by Celine Dion 

Celine Dion is, without question, among the best female vocalists ever.  In this emotional version of O Holy Night, Dion begins very gently, as if in the room with the baby Jesus she sings about.  As the song continues, her jaw dropping range sends chills through your whole body.  Christmas is not truly Christmas without Celine singing this hymn.   

•  Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! By Frank Sinatra  

Making his second appearance, Frank Sinatra’s cover of this Dean Martin classic is a toe-tapping, finger-snapping two-and-a-half-minute joyride.  Sinatra’s smooth delivery and utterly unique sound makes this song a timeless classic, incomparable to other versions.  

•  All I Want Christmas For You by Mariah Carey  

A list of Christmas Classics would not be complete without the iconic Mariah hit from the 90s.  The unmistakable intro of this song transforms all listeners into professional performers.  Mariah’s beautiful riffs and range combine for a Christmas season staple that makes even the worst of the Scrooges tap their toe.  

Top New Christmas Songs

Christmas is coming soon and along with it amazing new albums. The classics like “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey will always be an iconic holiday song but these new albums are sure to be just as good and a great addition to holiday favorites.

•  “Every day is Christmas” by Sia

This album isn’t like any other, it’s brand new songs entirely with a few covers that areamazing renditions of the classics. Sia and her amazing vocals bring Christmas cheer to any listener. This album is very unique and overall has an impressive sound track.

Top two songs: “Santa is coming for us” and “Ho Ho Ho”

Both of these are original songs that are unforgettable and make the album unlike any other. They are guaranteed to bring life to any Christmas party.

• “You Make It Feel like Christmas” By Gwen Stefani

This album does have a few covers and some new songs too. The covers have a new twist that make them, and the originals, just as exciting. The songs have almost a country sound which may be considered good or bad. Either way, this album can definitely make Christmas come early.

Top two songs: “You Make It Feel like Christmas” ft. Blake Sheldon and “My Gift is You”.

These songs have a great Christmas vibe and truly create a Christmas feeling in the audience’s heart.

•  “Warmer in The Winter” By Lindsey Stirling

This album has many instrumental covers as well as vocal arrangements that showcase Stirling’s vocals and the vocals of guests too. This album, aside from being an enjoyable Christmas time album, also makes the list because some students from Gaither actually got to perform with Lindsey Stirling herself.

Top two songs: “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” ft. Sabrina Carpenter and “Warmer in the Winter” ft. Trombone Shorty.

Although one is a cover, Carpenter and Stirling make an excellent duo. The second

song “Warmer in The Winter” is an original by Stirling which includes her own instrumental compositions combined with those of Trombone Shorty but Stirling’s soft vocals too. These two songs are a must in order to get into the Christmas spirit.

•  “Christmas after Midnight” By Fantasia

Although she may not be very well known this “American Idol” winner sure knows how to make a Christmas album. Fantasia Barrino won “American Idol” season three. Her R&B style creates a fun and exciting Christmas album.

Top Two songs: “Baby It’s Cold Outside” ft. CeeLo Green, and “Hallelujah”

These songs, although they are covers, Fantasia makes the songs her own and give them a completely new feeling in the best way possible.

•  A Pentatonix Christmas

This may not be a brand new album however, it is only a year old and the music in the album make it a timeless holiday collection. The very talented acapella group revise and bring life to all of the classic Christmas songs. Their album truly brings the Christmas spirit and it is a must for the holiday season.

Top two songs: “Up on the Housetop” and “Hallelujah”

Although “Hallelujah” was previously mentioned, Pentatonix performs it in a way no other artist thought to. “Up on the Housetop” a classic Christmas carol is recreated and beautifully redone by the group and both songs are incredible for anyone wanting to get in the holiday spirit.

• Top Christmas Songs This Season, Old and New

Entertainment

Which TV Couple Are You?

• Entertainment

Which Grammy-Nominated Celeb Are You?

Entertainment

TNT Airs Ghastly New Series ‘The Alienist’

Entertainment

’12 Strong’ Portrays ‘Incredible’ True Story of Soldiers Post-9/11

Entertainment

Sam Smith’s New Album is ‘Thrilling’ Listeners

Entertainment

‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Brings the Thunder

Entertainment

Stranger Things Season 2 is an ‘Eleven’ Out of Ten

Entertainment

Michael Jackson’s New Album has Fans ‘Screaming’

Entertainment

DIY Halloween Costumes

Entertainment

‘Haters Back Off’ Makes a Comeback