X-Men: Apocalypse or X-Men: Genesis?

Hannah Reasor, Entertainment Editor

The X-Men have returned, but with a villain far greater than the characters or the audience could imagine: Apocalypse.

However, as apocalyptic Apocalypse seems, he himself is not what scares the world; it is what he convinces his Four Horsemen to do in his name. You learn early on in the film that Apocalypse has four main followers that have followed him throughout his ancient old history. In this century, he carries Magneto, Storm, Psylocke, and Angel with him to complete his transformation of the whole world.

This story arc seems to stay steady throughout the film as the main X-Men such as Beast, Mystique and Professor X fight against the villain and his henchmen. But the audience finds that each of the characters holds more baggage than a baggage claim section in an airport.

X-Men: Apocalypse seems to be more targeted to an audience already up to date on the comics, rather than those going to see the story for the first time. It is less like a Marvel Origins movie and more of ‘you should already know this’ movie. Although it is technically the third installment of the X-Men franchise starring such actors as James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, and Michael Fassbender, it only lightly connects to the previous second installment of the series.

Although the film is known to be an action, sci-fi type movie, it packs in a lot of emotional scenes for fans of the characters. The movie has top-notch actors who deliver the scene with as much emotion as an Oscar-winning film. Thus, the acting is not limited by the genre of the film, nor does it need to be. The best thing about the X-Men stories is that they’re supposed to be heart-wrenching and emotional, not stone-cold action.

The movie also includes a pleasant surprise in that the film seems to focus much of its attention on Mystique and her development as a character throughout the two and a half hour film. The audience can watch her grow from X-Men: First Class through X-Men: Apocalypse.

Oscar Isaac portrays the movie’s antihero in the film with a diversity and voice that doesn’t even seem to be his. It’s easy to forget that the audience is watching Isaac throughout the film as he plays the blue-faced “mutant god” or the next member of the Blue-Man Group.

X-Men: Apocalypse is the Marvel movie that comic book fans will love and non-comic book readers will walk out of desperately searching on Google for what exactly they just saw. Either way, it is worth seeing.

X-Men: Apocalypse in theaters now. Go to Fandango.com to buy tickets.