GHS Students Make Music and Memories

MarleneSchwartz

MarleneSchwartz

3

1

Marlena Carrillo, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that Gaither is home to an endless amount of talented artists and musicians. A few of them have put these talents to form groups of regular teenagers who have a passion for performing and creating the music that they love.

Jim Chambers Music Box, a music academy here in Tampa founded by local resident Jim Chambers, is responsible for bringing these students together. The Box provides musical lessons for multiple instruments, including drums, guitar and voice, as well as organizes shows for these bands that he manages.

For these students, this opportunity provides them an outlet to express themselves in a way that people can relate to.

“Music itself kind of has a life of its own,” said Ryan Romero, sophomore and lead singer of the band Heroes for Hire. “It has its own language, its own meaning. Whether it’s an emotional meaning, like sad or angry, or interpretations. It can vary.”

At a period in their lives where kids need a place to spread their wings and establish their own identities, performance unleashes that voice that is otherwise tucked away.

“I was always an angry child,” Romero admitted. “A lot of the stuff that I do when it comes to performing helps me get that out.”

The bands’ performances, which occur roughly once or twice a month at local joints like Skipper’s Smokehouse, Buckets and Whiskey Joe’s, do not disappoint for the crowd either. One glance at the stage makes it clear the passion the bands have, from erratic hair-flipping to heavy stomping, and the crowd mirrors that intensity, friends and strangers alike singing along with classic tunes and dancing messily under the beating sun. Though they might be young, the musicians perform with the heart and soul of even the most experienced performers.

The best part, however, varies for each member. “I like being in sync,” said Declan Carey, senior and bassist of the band Inkblot, referring to the way him and his band members can “come together and make sound” for people to enjoy.

Such performances, however, do not come without hard work. Chambers, a veteran of the music business for over 20 years, works tirelessly to support his bands and organize the shows they play. The students also hold a great responsibility, juggling their education along with their budding music careers.

“It’s hard to balance [school and the band],” Carey admitted, “But it’s worth it.”

Though sometimes tough, the bands all have great support for one another. “A lot of those bands have so much talent,” said Romero. “I feel like if you want to experience different things, go out to see these bands, because you don’t know what they have to offer.”

Heroes for Hire is currently working on a brand new, original song, which they will be in the studio for very soon. Inkblot has also come out with two originals so far, and hopes to record a whole EP in the near future, each song sporting the name of a color.

“Everything is just so canned and processed,” Romero said about the modern music industry. “Let your heart decide, to take a chance and discover new music, because you don’t know what you may find.”

You can find these bands like Heroes for Hire and Inkblot on Instagram, @heroesforhireband and @inkblotband, as well as Jim Chambers @jimchambersmusicbox, where you will find information on any upcoming shows.

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

GHS Chorus Wows with Annual Spectrum Show

• Entertainment

‘Carpool Karaoke’ Gets its Own Time Slot

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

Lady Gaga Brings ‘Joanne’ to Tampa

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

Man’s Best Friend? A Closer Look at ‘A Dog’s Purpose’

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

NxWorries’ ‘Yes Lawd!’ Disappoints after ‘Malibu’

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

TWD: Season Premiere Recap (SPOILERS)

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

“The Girl on the Train” flies off the rails

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

Big Bang Theory Starts Season 10 off Strong

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

‘Sully’ Takes Off To New Heights

• GHS Students Make Music and Memories

Entertainment

FX’s “Atlanta” Bridges Gap Between Hip-Hop and Comedy

GHS Students Make Music and Memories