Club Spotlight: Future Farmers of America

Danielle Cotton, Staff Writer

The Future Farmers of America, most commonly known as FFA, is a co-curricular club at Gaither that is about promoting and supporting agricultural education. Students that are part of this club can participate in agriculture activities and competitions in the community and beyond.

The goal of FFA is to introduce people to the world of agriculture and help build character, make young people into leaders, develop life skills, and provide kids with access to a vast variety of job fields. The FFA motto is “learning to do, living to serve,” which is what FFA tries to incorporate into the program to teach their members.

FFA also participates in a variety of competitions throughout the year, such as reciting the FFA creed by heart against other schools, livestock shows, tractor driving and many more. One of these events will be in October, where the members can show their animals and be judged on the member’s ring presence, ability to answer questions regarding the animal and if the animal meets the standard for its breed. “I will be showing my dairy cows, Marabelle and Peaches,” said junior Noah Bouchard. FFA also competes in the Florida State Fair each year for the dairy cows. Some of the animals Gaither FFA has through the years are dairy cows, steers, and pigs.

Many of those that are part of FFA joined because they had siblings that were members. “I joined because my two older siblings joined and when they introduced me to it, I instantly fell in love with FFA,” said Bouchard.

The only people that can join the club are those that are part of any of the agricultural or vet assisting classes. The club sponsor is Mrs. Kimberly Martin and the club president is sophomore Brynlie Green.